Wednesday 2 February 2011

Adventures with Rosalind and Norgy in Littleland


These are two books which are quite a bit older than I am.  They were in the family before me and I have fond memories of them being read to me as a child.

Adventures with Rosalind is the story of a little boy who breaks his leg and has to stay in bed.  He doesn't have a father so his mother has to go out to work and leave him at home on his own.  She buys him a book to read whilst she is away each day.  This turns out to be a magical book so he can dive in and share adventures with Rosalind.

Norgy in Littleland is also about a little boy.  He finds himself magically made tiny enough to live in a model village.  His toy dog becomes alive and the two of them have adventures.

4 comments:

  1. I read Adventures with Rosalind many years ago and loved it. It is by Charlotte Austen a pseudonym for Charlotte Auerbach a German genetetist. I should love to read it again but I imagine it would be difficult to get hold of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be very difficult indeed. I lost it a few years ago because it fell down the back of the book case. I thought somebody must have borrowed it and not brought it back. My sister and I both spent a year trying to track down a copy without success. I was so pleased when I found my copy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Charlotte (Lotte to her family) Was my adoptive grandmother and lived with us as I grew up.It is indeed a lovely childrens book. And she truely was an amazing lady.

    I was wondering if you still had any copies?

    Lotte had 5 grandchildren and unfortunately we only have one copy left of the book - Lottes own personal copy. And we were wondering if you were willing to part with the copy?

    Glad to hear about people enjoying her writing.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenny. How wonderful to learn that Lotte was your adoptive grandmother! I am an American historian of science who is working on a book on women in 20th century genetics. I am seeking information on Lotte. I know of material at the University of Edinburgh Archives, and an Israeli geneticist who knew her well, but I would love to hear from you and learn more personal details about her life. You can contact me via Google or at my university email address: ad4913@wayne.edu.

      Delete